Friday, April 6, 2007

pregnancy herniated disc

I have back issues. I've had herniated discs in my spine since the age of 12 and had surgery in 2001. I've had a relapse in the past year after feeling generally okay since surgery, and have had pretty bad pain again. Now that I'm pregnant, I'm concerned and want to make sure I don't totally throw my back out.

So I've been doing some Googling, and check out this RIDICULOUSLY worded site.

"Pregnancy Herniated Disc can keep you in constant pain during this important phase of life. Experience the difference with Thermophore natural heat therapy today!

Pregnancy Herniated Disc is especially painful during this important time. You want to speed healing and get soothing, relaxing treatment. Thermophore Moist Heat Packs provide effective, temporary relief from pain, ease stiffness, relax muscles, and improve circulation. Soothing, moist heat dilates the blood vessels, which creates blood flow. This removes wastes and toxins that may have settled in the affected area and brings new healing blood cells to the tissues. Experience the Thermophore solution for Pregnancy Herniated Disc today!

* Note: If you are pregnant, or you think you might be pregnant, please consult with a doctor before using this product."

LOL.

My back kills. At least I found a WAY better site (not that one) about someone else who had my problem and had a successful pregnancy without being on bed rest. From the very few sites I've read, all these women with my problem wound up having a C-section. I'm not clear as to whether it's because of the disc issue or not. I do NOT want a C-section. I was a C-section, and my entire life that has bothered me. I don't know why. I was always grumpy, since childhood, that my mom did not go into labor with me (I was a planned c-section - my older brother was an emergency one and they weren't into VBAC those days especially in India), and that I was just cut away from her. If it happens, it happens, but I reeeeeally don't want that.

I'm scared of going to the doctor on Monday. It's not my doc. Just someone to take my blood and tell me not to use drugs or alcohol, probably. But what if she's mean? I want to ask her when I can tour the birth center and what else I can do for my back besides PT exercises & prenatal yoga and pilates. I also found a disc on Netflix for a pain-free pregnancy. I'm gonna check out all these DVDs and figure out which ones to buy. I'm really nervous about this whole back thing, I gotta tell ya.

I had a dream about what the baby looked like. It was brown, slightly lighter than me, and very squished and grumpy-looking. It was SO CUTE. Am I the only one that actually finds newborns adorable? I know they're slimy and squashed and weird-looking, but at the same time, there's just something so adorable about that first-entered-the-world grump look they all have. So squashed and battleworn from their huge trip out the birth canal into the world. I love that. I really do.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I am interested in the GOOD site you found regarding pregnancy & herniated discs. Can you post the link? Thanks!