Wednesday, May 28, 2008

back update

So, here's the shpiel (?) on my back.

I've been on (breastfeeding-safe) narcotic painkillers since March. In April, I had an evaluation for surgery, and they said nope, not needed, and my MRI looks better than it did pre-pregnancy. (Huh.) I had a cortisone injection (a lumbar facet block), which did not help. They told me to follow up in 3 weeks. My appointment was today, even though it's been 4 weeks due to scheduling.

My mom came up to help out just before the injection and had planned to stay for two weeks, and we assumed that at the end of it I'd be fine. We were wrong. Bee and I went down the 250 miles to my parents' house and stayed there for two weeks while Mom finished things up at work. We hoped I might be able to go back up by myself. We were wrong. She came up with me, and we stopped hoping that I would be okay by a certain amount of time. She took a leave of absence and just figured that once I was better, she would go. (I can't express how grateful I am that we're able to have this option. Otherwise, I'd be up shit's creek without a paddle.) So we came back this past weekend.

Follow-up was today, and the next step is physical therapy. But not just regular old physical therapy - a spinal rehabilitation "boot camp." It's a 6-8 week program, and I'll be lifting lots of weights and strengthening up a ton. I'm nervous, but mostly optimistic that it will help.

No comments: