Thursday, June 26, 2008

easy delicious lentils.

How to make super, super easy masoor dahl in a matter of minutes:

Stuff You Need
1 tsp canola oil
1 cup masoor dahl (red split lentils)
2 small tomatoes (or 1 medium tomato), cut into large chunks - diced if you prefer
2 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/2 tsp dahl masala
3 cups water
salt (to taste)
fresh curry OR coriander leaves (optional)

Recipe
Heat canola oil in a saucepan on medium-high. Add, well, everything! I added the ginger and garlic first, then the tomatoes, then the dahl and water, then the masala and salt. Mix it up. Once the water started boiling, it only took 10 minutes for everything to cook, and I turned off the heat as soon as I could*. Then, I added about 5-10 fresh curry leaves that I ripped into small-ish pieces (each piece was about a third the size of a leaf), left them sitting on top prettily, and covered it.

*I accidentally left it on the stove a bit longer, but I recommend turning it off after about 10 minutes or as soon as the dahl (lentils) look nicely cooked.

Serve with chapathis or rice, or whatever you like! If you add another cup or two of water before you cook, it makes a delicious lentil soup.

We're having it for dinner with spinach parathas. Yum!

Damn easy to make, even with Bee having a humongously bad poop crisis in the middle that I feel like I ought to tell you about for sheer humor purposes, but seriously, it was so bad that writing it out would be like experiencing it all over again. I could happily drink 10 martinis in a row just to forget about it, and I don't even like vodka. But! Despite it all, the dahl only got slightly overcooked, and it still tastes delicious.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Umm....you are my new best friend. I must make this! More easy to make vegetarians dinners (this is my downfall, cooking after work).

Mama Bean said...

Hmm, I should post the crockpot stew I made for dinner last night... took 15 minutes of prep, then cooked itself in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours!