Tuesday, June 24, 2008

sleep demon

For some reason unbeknownst to me, my daughter has given up napping at the tender age of 6 months. I have been telling myself for weeks it must be teething, but to be honest, I am not entirely sure.

Yesterday, I started off the morning by going to physical therapy. (And, by the way, it's my third week and it's going fabulously, even if I'm left quite sore. It's really helping.) Bee was exhausted and due for a nap before I left, so I hoped that she would sleep at least for part of the time I was out. Two hours later I came home to a crying, miserable child and an explanation from my mom about how much she just REFUSED to close her eyes for even a second. She apparently even tried not to blink, and all Mom's tips and tricks for getting the baby to sleep failed hardcore. Since I was drenched in sweat, I had planned to shower as soon as I came home. Bee was lunging towards me, desperately doing some combination of a wave hi and the sign for milk (she gets them mixed up sometimes), so I figured I would nurse first and then shower. It was almost noon, and that's around the time she goes down for her second nap, and meanwhile she had skipped her first one.

She had quite the restless nursing session, flailing her body about, pulling off to whine and complain, and still fighting sleep. I dunno about other kids, but for my kid, fighting sleep on the boob is pretty intense. It took me a good long while to settle her and get her to sleep. Even after that, I waited until she seemed deep in slumber, looking uncannily like a passed-out drunk. I should note that by this time, I was uncomfortably grimy, and I had to go to the bathroom desperately. DESPERATELY. Mom was on stand-by, so I rushed off to relieve my aching bladder.

As soon as I sat on the toilet, I heard the unmistakable sound of weary screaming. By the time I washed my hands and returned, she was wide awake on Mom's lap. Refused to nurse, refused to go back to sleep. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, sometimes I have to go to the fricking bathroom. My mom hung out with her, doing whatever she could to cheer her up, while I took my much-needed shower.

Anyway, all afternoon the kiddo was mad, and understandably so, despite failing to understand that this pesky "tired" feeling would go away if she would just GO TO SLEEP. So I figured I'd toss her into a back carry using the Moby, and go about my business with her hanging out on my back, and that she'd eventually sleep like that.

As I leaned forward to tie her on, she puked. Big time. Warm, chunky spit-up ran down my neck and into my freshly-washed hair.

Sigh...

2 comments:

Vick said...

Ewww ... I hate being puked on!

Honestly, I still wear Miss O for every. single. nap. If I tried napping her in her crib, I think I might be in the same place you are.

We do a big nursing session when she wakes up, then she hangs out for a couple hours, and then I top her off with milk, throw her on my back and start walking.

Mama Bean said...

Yeah, I'm gonna have to start doing that again. My back was SO bad that I couldn't even lift her for even a second. Now I can do back carries, so... I think we might have to return to that.

She *will* nap in the sidecar if I'm sleeping right next to her, but there's no way I can nap that often, lol.